California is home to numerous universities and colleges offering a wide range of degree programs at various levels.
With over 150 higher education institutions, California offers an exceptionally wide range of academic programs. From associate degrees at community colleges to doctoral programs at world-renowned universities, students can find degreed pathways for virtually any career field in California.
Several factors make California a top state for higher education and degree-seekers. Its public university systems, like the University of California and California State University campuses, provide affordable access to bachelor’s and master’s programs across disciplines. Meanwhile, prestigious private institutions, such as Stanford and the University of Southern California, attract top talent and research funding.
California also leads in critical industries like technology, healthcare, sustainability, and entertainment. Students flock to hotbeds like Silicon Valley and Los Angeles to learn in these innovative ecosystems. The state further appeals to online learners through remote degree options offered by schools like UC Berkeley and UCLA Extension.
In this guide, we outline the breadth of program types and focus areas found at California colleges and universities. Whether seeking vocational certificates, graduate-level health sciences training, or a second bachelor’s degree, students are sure to discover diverse academic opportunities fitting their needs in California.
Degree Programs in California
Here are some of the types of degree programs you can find in California:
- Bachelor’s Degree Programs: These typically take four years to complete and include programs in fields such as business, engineering, computer science, biology, psychology, and many others.
- Master’s Degree Programs: These programs usually require one to two years of additional study beyond a bachelor’s degree and are available in areas like education, healthcare, engineering, and business administration.
- Doctoral Degree Programs: These are advanced research degrees and often take several years to complete. Common doctoral programs include Ph.D. programs in various disciplines and professional doctorates like Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.).
- Professional Degree Programs: California offers professional programs such as Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) in law, Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) in pharmacy, and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) in veterinary medicine.
- Associate Degree Programs: These programs typically take two years to complete and are often available at community colleges. They include Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Associate of Science (A.S.) degrees.
- Online Degree Programs: Many universities and colleges in California also offer online degree programs across various disciplines, allowing students to pursue their education remotely.
- Certificate and Diploma Programs: Short-term certificate and diploma programs are available in areas such as computer programming, medical assisting, and culinary arts.
- Vocational and Technical Programs: California has numerous technical and vocational schools offering programs in fields like automotive technology, HVAC, and welding.
- Art and Design Programs: The state is home to many renowned art and design schools, offering degrees in fields like fine arts, graphic design, fashion design, and animation.
- Health Sciences Programs: California has prestigiousmedical schools, nursing programs, and allied health programs, including dental schools and programs for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology.
- Education Programs: Schools of education in California offer programs for aspiring teachers, administrators, and counselors.
- Environmental and Sustainability Programs: Given California’s focus on environmental conservation, many institutions offer degrees in environmental science, sustainability, and renewable energy.
- Business and Management Programs: California boasts top-notch business schools offering degrees in management, finance, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Programs: You can find programs in areas like sociology, psychology, history, philosophy, and literature at various universities and colleges.
- STEM Programs: California is a hub for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields, with programs available in computer science, engineering, biology, and more.
Keep in mind that the availability of specific degree programs may vary by institution.
It’s essential to research the universities and colleges in California to find the program that best suits your academic and career goals.
Additionally, consider factors such as accreditation, location, tuition costs, and admission requirements when selecting a degree program in California.
Online Degree Programs in California
California offers a wide range of online degree programs from various universities and colleges. These online programs cover a variety of fields and levels of education, including undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Best Online Colleges in California
- Highest Paying Jobs
- MSW Online Programs in California
- Online ADN Programs in California
- Online LVN Programs in California
- Online Master’s Programs California
- Online MBA Programs in California
- Online MFT Programs in California
- Online Nursing Programs California
- Online RN Programs California
- Online SLPA Programs California
Some of the universities and colleges in California that offer online degree programs include:
- University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley): UC Berkeley offers online courses and programs through its UC Berkeley Extension program. These programs include professional certificates and specialized courses.
- California State University (CSU) system: Many of the CSU campuses offer online degree programs, including bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Examples include CSU Fullerton, CSU East Bay, and CSU Chico.
- University of Southern California (USC): USC offers a variety of online graduate degree programs in fields like business, education, social work, and engineering.
- California State University, Monterey Bay: CSU Monterey Bay offers online degree programs in business administration, education, and instructional science and technology.
- Stanford University: Stanford offers online courses and programs through its Stanford Online platform. While they may not offer full online degree programs, you can find various courses and certificates.
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA): UCLA Extension provides online courses and professional certificates in various fields, including entertainment studies, business, and engineering.
- California State University, Sacramento: CSU Sacramento offers online degree programs in fields such as nursing, business administration, and criminal justice.
- National University: National University, based in San Diego, is known for its online degree programs in various fields, including education, business, and healthcare.
- San Diego State University (SDSU): SDSU offers online graduate degree programs in areas like business administration, public health, and educational leadership.
- California Baptist University: This private university offers a range of online undergraduate and graduate programs in fields like business, education, and healthcare.